A happy new year to all of our members and supporters.
As we enter the AusIMM’s 125th anniversary year, I would like to set out some of the exciting things we have planned as we look to celebrate with our members this incredible milestone.
Our plans throughout the year will leverage the work we have been doing at the AusIMM to re-establish ourselves as a more contemporary, financially sustainable organisation with a stronger external brand.
The past year has been a successful period of change and growth for AusIMM with a number of significant achievements during 2017, including our new Royal Charter in effect from 1 January 2018. Further details are set out in the following link.
Of particular note is the clear and sensible strategy now in place, with a significant investment in technology and digital platforms, as well as us ramping up our policy and advocacy work as we engage with regulators and educators in new and different ways.
From the solid foundations we have put in place in 2017, we are now embarking on our anniversary year with an impressive program to celebrate the history of AusIMM. We will be reflecting on the critical role of our members in shaping our industry and exploring the challenges and opportunities ahead to ensure we remain a world-leader in minerals and mining.
Highlights of our 2018 125 Year Anniversary program include:
- A dedicated website showcasing the past, present and future of AusIMM
- A commemorative edition of the AusIMM Bulletin in April 2018
- 125 Faces: a digital storytelling project sharing the stories of 125 of AusIMM’s inspiring professionals past and present
- Member-driven celebratory events and activities hosted by Branches and Student Chapters throughout Australasia
- A Presidential Gala dinner in Melbourne in November
- The flagship AusIMM 125 Anniversary Thought Leadership Series, which will be held throughout Australia and New Zealand and feature industry leaders discussing the future of resources professionals and their work. The events will bring members together as we explore the critical issues shaping the sector.
I am pleased to announce that the Thought Leadership Series will launch in Adelaide on 20 April as part of 2018 Congress and will travel to a number of locations over the following months. The full schedule of dates is below:
Adelaide Friday 20 April
Bendigo Wednesday 2 May
Melbourne Thursday 3 May
Brisbane Wednesday 9 May
Mackay Thursday 10 May
Newcastle Monday 14 May
Sydney Tuesday 15 May
Bathurst Wednesday 16 May
Wollongong Thursday 17 May
Perth Wednesday 23 May
Kalgoorlie Thursday 24 May
Dunedin (NZ) Thursday 31 May
Canberra Tuesday 11 September (TBC)
Registrations for these events will open in February with further information on this and our other 125 anniversary initiatives at 125.ausimm.com.
I am very proud of the high quality work taking place across all parts of the organisation and the way that our management team, Boards and committees are all working together to ensure we continue to build on 125 years of excellence in leadership of resources professionals.
I look forward to seeing you at one of our anniversary events and together celebrating this wonderful milestone.